Saw palmetto called “American dwarf plant” in the southeast suburbs of America. Its berries have been used because of the variety of medicinal purposes it brings. Saw palmetto receives its medicinal properties of fatty acids containing.
Saw palmetto can inhibit certain effects of some hormones of the body and has a potent antiinflammatory effect, used as a natural solution to relieve the symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia or slow the alopecia since the extract saw palmetto could inhibit the action enzyme 5-alpha-reductase that converts testosterone to DHT, acting as estrogen and androgen antagonist, by competing for receptors of hormones in cells, to the action as flutamide.
Today, this plant does not grow naturally in many areas of the planet. Because of its great benefits it is being grown for marketing.
Features and Benefits of Saw Palmetto
- Prostate health.
- Reduces the risk of prostate cancer
- Frena male pattern baldness
- antiinflammatory properties (sore throats and head)
- Natural remedy for benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- Improves urine flow.
- Treats cough from the bronchi.
- Pelvic pain.
- Increase in sexual desire.
- Increased quality of sperm.
The embodiments of the saw palmetto most common are:
Side Effects and contraindicaciones
- Not recommended for children under 12 years in puberty stage because of its action on the hormonal system or pregnant women.
- When oral anticoagulants are taken must be taken into account as saw palmetto can enhance its effects.
- The product can also retard blood coagulation and enhance the effects of drugs acting anticoagulant . so it is advisable to discontinue treatment two weeks before undergoing any type of surgery, because there may be bleeding.